Please call our customer enquiry
number on 01278 662574
Rich in history...
In 1780 William Rich opened a saddlery shop in the
small Somerset village of North Petherton and in the
1820s his son Francis took over the running of the
business. Back in those days the equestrian industry
was very different as horses were used to work the land
and were the basis of both industry and transport. In
fact, riding as a leisure activity was only available to
the most privileged.
Francis’s son William was next to come into the
business, taking over in 1860, but he died suddenly in
1878 and the business was then transferred into the
hands of his wife Anne, who expanded the company
by employing four men. Her sons also took their
apprenticeships as saddlers and they too went into the
Rich Saddlers was taken over by Anne’s son William in
1890 – by this time the family had built up a reputation
for high quality products and workmanship.
William’s sons Ernest and Gordon (shown together
here) then took control in the 1930’s, changing the
name to Rich Brothers and later, in 1960, relocated
the shop from 35 Fore Street to number 55.
Ernest and Gordon remained in the business until
1979 when Ernest’s son Alan took over and the name
was changed yet again, to Rich & Son as it is today.
In 2002, we opened our Show Unit and we now
exhibit at around 20 of the top horse and county shows
all over the UK. And finally in 2008 we set up our very
successful mail order business.